Tuesday 31 May 2011

Les miserbles at the queens theatre.

Yesterday I went to see les mis in London.  I’ve wanted to go and see it for a while but there were always other shows that sounded more interesting as when I was reading about the plot it didn’t really grab my attention as much as something like Wicked and We Will Rock You did. Then I was given to song from the show ‘ on my own’ to sing for an exam so I had to watch videos on YouTube to get to know the character and the story line a lot better and then I was hooked.
At first I was a bit unsure about the fact there’s no speaking in it and it’s all done through song, I think that was only because I wasn’t used to it, but after a while that became one of the best things about it. Because of the constant song this show had some of the strongest singers around and their voices were really amazing I couldn’t believe how complicated some of the harmonies were I can only imagine how long they must have taken to get perfect. Some of the songs will just not leave my head ‘ master of the house’ is one I’m finding particularly hard to stop singing, my favourite song in the whole show was ‘ a little fall of rain’ just because its an amazingly beautiful song.
Throughout the performance I became fascinated with the revolving floor. It must be hard enough to stage a show that naturally has to have a lot of movement in all the time and then the floor was moving as well. It must be really complicated to remember your lines, stage directions and then be able to make it look completely natural while the floor underneath you is moving. However I think without that particular part of the stage it wouldn’t have been the same because a lot of the time the actors had to look like they were rushing around and that wouldn’t have been possible if the floor wasn’t moving in the opposite direction to them.
The storyline itself is pretty stunning and depressing all at once, and if it wasn’t for two characters (the inn keeper and his wife) I think it would be to dark to have been as successful as it had. There were two points when I almost cried but then before you get the chance they bring out the inn keeper to lighten the mood, I think this is very cleverly done. At the end of the show you feel like you should be crying or sad but for some reason you’re overwhelmed by how beautiful the whole thing turned out and for that reason you’re almost happy, which I found really odd considering everyone except about 4 people died.
I truly loved les mis and am beyond desperate to go back and see it right now. I envy the cast soo much they are talented beyond belief and there deserve to be in a show as incredible as Les mis.  I wouldn’t recommend  Les miserables to younger people but for teens and adults its defiantly one of the better shows to go and see.

1 comment:

  1. A really personal and creative blog entry Chloe. I can really see the passion you have for musical theatre and it is impressive.

    I am also impressed with how you pick out certain characters and their input that makes the plot so effective. Well done.

    ReplyDelete