Sunday 15 January 2012

Chicago and Blood brothers

Yesterday I went to London to see Chicago and I've been waiting so long to see this musical I honestly couldn’t wait. The only film I seem to watch lately is Chicago and I thought the show would be just as spectacular. To start with I was a bit disappointed because I found I really didn’t like the opening. I’m not sure why because the dancing was amazing and the girl playing Velma had such a stunning voice but for me it didn’t feel big enough for some reason. But I quickly fell in love with the whole production and especially the dancing. For me it was really hard not to compare it to the film considering the songs and speech were pretty much the same and this meant at some points I didn’t like how it was carried out on stage but for my mum who had never watched the film before it was amazing and perfectly portrayed on stage.
The dancing was the main thing I noticed throughout because it was so perfect and unique to the show. I started off being really unsure about the band being on the stage because it’s unheard of but I soon realised it made the show and Chicago is probably the only show that can get away with such a bold moved. I think anyone would love this show!
After walking out of the Chicago theatre I jokingly said to my mum that I hadn’t seen blood brother for a few years and thought it was about time I went again... and she said ‘ok is it near here?’ The next thing I know we’ve found half price tickets and are sitting in another theatre for the second time of the day. Best.day.ever!
Blood brothers is the all time perfect musical. It has absolutely everything! And there aren’t that many musicals I’ve seen that I would happily go back to again and again but you can’t ever get bored of this one. It’s so beautifully written and the songs just get to you. There is nothing bad about it at all. It always amazes me how child-like the adults are and they have to go from being impossibly happy to completely depressed and out of hope in such a small space of time it must be very challenging and I admire their talent. I am also very jealous of the performers who get to be in this musical.
Seeing two musicals in one day means you can’t help but compare them. The audience reaction to Chicago was nowhere near as good as the reaction to blood brothers. I think this is because Chicago is a very almost jolly musical despite its somewhat dark themes. Whereas blood brothers is a real journey and people do connect and sympathise a lot more.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, what a day you had and how perfect! Well done on the comparision of the two musicals and to describe and explain what you liked and didn't like. Who is Chicago influenced by? Think about his style and then think about what was portrayed on stage.

    I love your evaluation of the actors in Blood Brothers. This is very clear that you understand how difficult it is to do this.

    ReplyDelete