Wednesday 1 February 2012

costume construction evaluation

EVALUATION
For costume constriction our task was to design a fairy costume for the production of a midsummer night’s dream. We were told to focus on the fairies in the production and design a costume that would be effective on stage as well as easy to dance in and comfortable. It must also fit the theme of a midsummer night’s dream. To make the skirt I folded bits of satin fabric over in two and sewed them onto the top band of the skirt. I did repeat this step with a variety of colours that fit the scheme that I had chosen which were pinks, purples and greens. I choose these colours because they are fairy-like and also have the woodland colours that fit the production. Once I had finished sewing on the satin I added roses and leaves to the skirt to add to the effect it will have on stage and to make it more fairy-like. The leotard and tights were dyed to match the colours id chosen for my skirt and then I sewed on more roses and a few leaves onto the leotard so that it would look prettier and match the skirt better so they look like a proper set. I had to make sure the roses and leaves were secure by adding a few more stitches than really needed as if it was to fall apart on stage the whole effect would be lost and the performer wearing it would be put off. Making this costume was quite easy once id got the hang of sewing on the satin as this was the fiddliest part.

No comments:

Post a Comment